7 South Australian Small-Batch Gins
Where to buy: South Australian Gins
- Kangaroo Island Spirits deserves the top spot as they were the first to hit the hand-crafted gin scene in SA back in 2005. Now they have a range of hand-crafted spirits including gins, vodka and a handful of liqueurs such as Limoncello. (Kangaroo Island, SA)
- McLaren Vale Distilling Company‘s owner Rowland first started in McLaren Vale with his winery, Maximus Wines, 8 years ago before adding a small batch artisan gin to his repertoire. His range of gins are made from grapes grown on his property and are distilled and bottled on site. (McLaren Vale, SA)
- Adelaide Hills Distillery‘s 78 Degrees Gin was created by another winemaker, Sacha La Forgia – this time from the Adelaide Hills region. Similar to that of McLaren Vale Distilling Company the gin is made from grape spirit and the 12 botanicals are vapour infused. (Adelaide Hills, SA)
- The Antipodes Gin Co was Australia’s first to produce a certified organic gin which is triple distilled with native and traditional botanicals. (Adelaide, SA)
- Prohibition Liquor Co. is comprised of a unique range of botanicals – starting with wormwood which is better known for creating absinthe, citrus such as blood orange and ruby red grapefruit in addition to juniper, coriander and ginger root. (Adelaide, SA)
- Applewood Distillery creates their gin using an old industrial cold store built in the early 1920s. Often creating experiential batches, amaro & liqueurs. (Gumeracha, SA)
- Imperial Measures Distilling is based in the Adelaide Hills. They distill Ounce Gin which is true to the London Dry standard.
Where to buy? South Australian Gins
I have been in the hospitality industry for over a decade and now enjoy running and catering for events throughout South Australia.